Sunday, April 17, 2016


SLAM!

By Walter Dean Myers


Reader Response:

First off, I heard about this book already, but wasn’t so interested in reading another book about another athlete. But then as I was reading it, I saw similarities between Greg’s life and mine, and I couldn’t put it down. My teacher makes us write journals after each reading session. She says it’s to help us write more and put our thoughts down on paper, and process the reading better. Well, as an athlete and some one who is growing up in the hood, I know what my options are. It’s taught me not to hold on to the sports game, and really take my life seriously, meaning think about my choices so I won’t be moved away from my goals. I have them and I want to make them happen.

Evaluator Response:

This book hits home to students no matter what level in middle school. Whether they are athletes or not, I believe it has the power to engage them in issues about life if the student is open minded. This strength can also find itself being a weakness, for those students who might not be into the basketball or sport arena. They might not connect to that part, but should be able to connect to the life lessons it promotes. Also, not every student is from the area that Greg (Slam) is from and haven’t had to tackle the same struggles, but it is a great eye opener for those who have not to learn to see from other perspectives, which is always a strength in literacy.

Teacher Response:

This book has been housed in a number of classrooms I’ve visited, so I wanted to make it part of my classroom library! I am a huge proponent of developing the mindset of choice within my students, and the decisions this character faces and what challenges he has to go through in order to be a better version of himself—are appropriate for my students as they are figuring out who they are and how they want to operate in their communities, at school and in life in general. They will be going to the next level soon, and I want to make sure they are developing a sense of themselves and their purpose as they come through the walls of my classroom.

Literacy Coach Response:

My students and I constantly talk about what books work for them and which ones do not. This book hands down has yielded promising discussions. Students become charged when they address which issues hit home for them. Issues of identity, expectations based on ethnicity and family expectations are high connectors for them. I would suggest to integrate this book in a unit about identity, especially in the Spring during March Madness or the NBA playoffs. The need for students to target their ideas and assertions, dissect them, and be reminded of their options is real.  This book is in a literary form that’s so appropriately tied to who they are as individuals and their aspirations, which are highly attached to these  highly exciting national events.


1 comment:

  1. Walter,

    I love your sentiment about how this book reaches students "whether they are athletes or not." It is so important to show students that, even if things do not relate to them directly, there are common threads of the human experience. I also love your idea about tying this in with March Madness or the NBA playoffs. I think it is a great idea to tie in what is going on outside of the classroom (especially if it something a lot of your students are interested in!) and bringing it into the classroom. Thank you for sharing this book!

    Warmly, Paige

    ReplyDelete